Thursday, April 30, 2015

THE RECIPE FOR FAILURE IN LIFE

You won’t believe how many people have a feeling of imposing when they’re selling. How can you be successful if:
  • You want to help people (your mission!), but you feel like you’re stealing their money 
  • Your goal in life is to have a good time, but selling is difficult and you don’t enjoy doing it
  • You want to do something completely different that is more fulfilling because you have a feeling that is your mission and not what you are doing now (selling goods).
Some people need the customer’s confirmation during the sale, just to continue! 

If you have this characteristic, this is what it looks like when you try to sell: You demonstrate your product to the prospect that’s standing in front of you and say:

“This function is unique to this product and is necessary to achieve the kind of quality in operation you should expect from a ...”

You now look at the prospect. If he nods and bends forward with enthusiasm, you explain further with even more excitement. However, if he is calm or makes even the slightest gesture that might indicate he “isn'’t quite so excited,” you freeze and panic. In your head, you start to say things like: “Oh no! I’m not going to make this sale now ... Oh, but all of my presentation is based on him being interested in what I am saying and showing him right now! This person is different though and doesn'’t think the way I was told that customers do! He’s probably thinking of my competitors and their product right now and what they can offer ... Maybe I should mention them in my presentation and let him know that we’re better ... What if my explanation of this feature is too complicated and he isn’t following me? Maybe I should repeat the explanation, because it is important for me to get an approval from him so I know we are “on the same level.”

At this point, instead of continuing with your presentation, you try to get an approval from the customer.

If you get it, you continue your presentation with relief. If not, you stop right there and insist you have solved the situation or you continue, but with less confidence, enthusiasm, energy and joy. In other words – even if you decide to continue, you are stuck.

The “"doubting worm"” creeps into your thoughts: "“What now? He probably doesn’'t like the product. Let’s see how he responds to something else, because I really have to do it well, otherwise I don’t know what will happen. Oh, that same gesture again, this is going to be a disaster.”" Now doubt is joined by tension and nervousness. The result that follows is obvious …

You cannot be successful if you can’t get through these and similar obstacles in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment